Friday, April 29, 2016

Annie Jr. Costumes!

It's a Hard Knock Life! I happen to be a music teacher and this year we are putting on Annie Jr.. My two girls are in the show too and we have been busy creating costumes for them and the others in the play. My youngest is Pepper, the mean orphan. Here she is on the swing in her bloomers and patched jumper.
Orphan Annie Costume
My oldest daughter is a servant for Mr. Warbucks. She and the other servants have to match, so I sewed 6 aprons for the show. I created a simple apron pattern that uses only 1 yard of fabric.
Orphan Annie Servant Costume
We are having them wear black dresses under the aprons. The aprons tie in the back along the waist and neck. I was hoping they would need my help for the Annie Dress but no luck this time.
Orphan Annie Servant Apron
I love making aprons. We even had the orphans choosing their own patches. So much fun!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Scallop Purse Organizer

Scallop Bag Monogrammed
I am always on the look out for adorable accessories to monogram. Recently, I purchased this faux leather scallop purse for Sew For Less. The monogram font I used is Fish Tail by Herrington Design. I do like it but there is not a closure for the top of the bag, no magnet clasp or zipper. So what do you do, create an organizer with a zipper closure.
Zipped up Organizer
You can do this with any purse, first measure the outside of the purse. Measure the height, width, depth of the purse. Use those measurements for the pieces for your organizer. When you sew them together using a 1/2" seam allowance, this creates a smaller bag that will fit inside the bag comfortably. The organizer will be 1" smaller in height, width and depth. Usually, I do not add a zipper but knowing that I needed a closure for this tote I added it to the top of the organizer.
Purse Organizer
Elastic along the top of the slip pockets help keep the contents inside pockets, along the sides of the bag so I can use the bottom for larger items. I love how an organizer makes your tote more user friendly.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Sawyer Wristlet, Monogramming

Sawyer Wristlet
I have been on the look out for a wallet that can hold my iPhone. I love to carry a large bag but it is a hassle to carry it all of the time, I want a small wallet that can hold my cards and phone. I just found the Sawyer Wristlet at SewForLess.com. They are priced under $12 and make great gifts.
Sawyer Wristlet
I did find out the hard way that it is easier to embroider the wristlet after you open the wallet up. Here is a short video of my machine at work.
IMG_1977
Also the monogram or embroidery needs to be small but this is a small accessory so it looks fine.
Sawyer Wristlet
Wow, it fits my phone with a phone case on it! Woohoo!

Monday, April 4, 2016

Devon Baer Inspired Tunic

Have you ever seen something and wish you had the sewing pattern for? This happens to me a lot, especially looking at Pinterest and other websites. As I was looking around I saw this....
Honestly, I did not know where the ruffle collar shirt came from or who had designed the tunic. It was a picture I had found on Pinterest that did not have a link, I researched the image and found a boutique that sold the ruffle tunic called Devon Baer. These are beautiful tunics in bright gorgeous colors, ready for a day at the beach or on a boat. I loved looking at Devon Haire's designs and her online Boutique. It looks like she started at Etsy and expanded to her own shop. Next, I started to look for a similar sewing patterns. I wanted to make my own ruffle collar shirt. Of course the pattern was not available.
Untitled
So what did I do next? I looked through all of my sewing books and found Built by Wendy Dress book. This book has 3 style of dresses; the sheath dress, shift dress and dirndl dress. The pattern templates do not have seam allowances but that is so that you can create more designs with them.
Untitled
I used the shift dress template because it matched the overall shape of the shirt. Then I copied the template to a large piece of paper, adding a 1/2" seam allowance.  On the fold line, I cut the collar 6" down from the top and 1" wide across, so the 1" is doubled to 2" on the fold. I did have to make adjustments when sewing the collar into the shirt.  If I make this again I will probably make the ruffle a little wider.  I cut a 4" X 44" ruffle, folded it wrong sides together (hotdog style) and pressed it. Then I used a gather stitch so I could easily gather the raw edge side. The hardest part about making this shirt was figuring out how to sew in the ruffle collar. It is really a placket. I sewed the ruffle to the neck line first. I decided to bind it because if the ruffle turns out, then you would see the rough edge. I also used this placket tutorial from Indie Sew, mostly step #5, joining the plackets at the bottom.  Finally, I topstitched around the entire collar. The shift dress does have a dart and I did not create a dart in my shirt. (My second attempt, I might try it with the dart.)
IMG_1979
My sleeves were too short, so after washing it, I decided to remove the sleeves and have a sleeveless shirt. After making the tunic I went back to my original paper pattern pieces and made adjustments.
Untitled
I can't believe I made this cute shirt. I will have to try it again. I definitely think Devon Baer's shirts are 100% better, but I have learned a lot trying to create my own. 
Happy Sewing!