Skip to main content

Teenage Dress Dreams

Going dress shopping can be absolutely painful. I have two beautiful girls but finding a dress for a special event is super challenging. The right shape, price and color sometimes is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. That is why when my daughter showed me the design she wanted I told her to let me make a mock up dress and perhaps make her formal dress for the dance. 

Looking for a dress. We did go dress shopping but in the age of COVID, it is completely different. I always start my shopping with my teenagers with food. That's right we either go to Starbucks to get coffee and a sweet treat or eat lunch first. It is imperative to eat so we are not moody or sluggish. We had lunch at a beautiful French restaurant called Coquette Brasserie at North Hills. If you are in Raleigh, NC I highly recommend it. 

After lunch we hopped over to Crabtree Mall. We looked in Belk and in Macy's. I was crazy! There were mothers who found an employees bathroom that they were using as a dressing room. Yuck!

I remember being a teenager and your mom making your formal dress sounds like a nightmare but my daughter happily agreed. It helped that she wanted to look different than the other girls and she knew what features she wanted in a dress. The features were puffy sleeves, sweet heart bodice, and a gathered skirt. I made her a mock up dress and we decided to change the look as we started to sew. I really enjoyed the process and loved the time I spent listening to my daughter. This was our first mock up dress and she loved the bodice but we decided to change the skirt. The skirt of this dress was made from a Walmart sheer curtain and cotton I had from my stash. More to come!

Comments

24ent said…
Thanks you for delivering this post. Presenting 24ent a Social media app for fashion where you can share and view the latest trends in the fashion from all over the world. So, go and get it 24ent and enjoy the real world of the fashion.
CEEcrets said…
Thanks for this amazing post. Interesting in enjoying the secrets then presenting CEECrets an Anonymous Group App for sharing and enjoying secrets of the people around the world without revealing your identity.
GOSTOPSITE33 said…

As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling great , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
고스톱

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5