Honestly, I have always wanted to try sewing leather and
this seemed as good of a time as any. :)
Where to find leather?
Local is better but if you do not have a leather supplier close here are some online stores.
1. Hide House
3. Welcome to Santos Leather by santosleather on Easy (This is where I bought my leather from.)
What are some techniques to use?
1. Use a leather needle, it makes a hole in the leather instead of pushing the fibers away.
2. Make sure your stitch length is longer, set to a 3.5 or higher.
If the stitch length is short, the leather will tear on your seam.
3. You should sew with a seam allowance of .25”,
so you will have less bulk in between your seams.
4. Decrease your thread tension as you increase the thickness of your leather project.
5. Use the wallpaper roller to roll the seams flat and glue the seam
excess down with cement glue.
6. Do not iron.
What supplies should you have before you start?
1. leather needle
2. wallpaper roller
3. Rayon, nylon or polyester thread Do not use 100% cotton it will break.
4. Binder clips
5. Teflon foot is nice but if you do not have one use baby powder or tissue paper.
6. Rubber Cement glue
Types of Leather (Thick to Thin)
It is measured in usable square feet.
I am still learning about leather. If you have any tips or resources to share please write a comment!!