Skip to main content

Learning to Sewing with leather!

Honestly, I have always wanted to try sewing leather and 
this seemed as good of a time as any. :)
fabric-2011-01-20-06-55.jpg
My new Sew Spoiled Cabrio Tote will be made from temple tulips in azure (main outer shell), laurel dots in periwinkle (lining) from Amy Butler’s Soul Blossom collection with accents of leather.
Where to find leather?
Local is better but if you do not have a leather supplier close here are some online stores.
        1. Hide House
        2. Welcome to Global Leathers
        3. Welcome to Santos Leather by santosleather on Easy (This is where I bought my leather from.)
What are some techniques to use?
        1. Use a leather needle, it makes a hole in the leather instead of pushing the fibers away.
        2. Make sure your stitch length is longer, set to a 3.5 or higher.
            If the stitch length is short, the leather will tear on your seam.
        3. You should sew with a seam allowance of .25”, 
            so you will have less bulk in between your seams.
        4. Decrease your thread tension as you increase the thickness of your leather project.
        5. Use the wallpaper roller to roll the seams flat and glue the seam 
            excess down with cement glue.
        6. Do not iron.
What supplies should you have before you start?
        1. leather needle
        2. wallpaper roller
        3. Rayon, nylon or polyester thread Do not use 100% cotton it will break.
        4. Binder clips
        5. Teflon foot is nice but if you do not have one use baby powder or tissue paper.
        6. Rubber Cement glue
Types of Leather (Thick to Thin)
Cowskin-----Pigskin--------Lambskin
It is measured in usable square feet.
I am still learning about leather. If you have any tips or resources to share please write a comment!!
Thanks!
6429E12C38E1D1A63D84EB0D937554A4-2011-01-20-06-55.png        

Comments

Lynne in NC said…
Leah,
How adventurous! I've sewn on heavy vinyly -- pleather -- and your tips are spot on for that, too.
Looking forward to the sew along.
Peace.
Sew Spoiled said…
Thanks Lynne! I can't wait! I hope you are doing well.

Popular posts from this blog

May 2011 Giveaway!

Thank you Sew Mama Sew for making today, May 23, 2011 Giveaway Day! Sew Love Fabrics will be sponsoring this month’s giveaway with eight fat quarters (18”X 22”) of Prince Charming prints in olive green, equaling 2 yards of gorgeous fabrics! If you would like to read more about Ruth, founder of Sew Love Fabrics , read her interview . Thank you so much for sharing your love of fabric with us! These are the fat quarters ready to ship to the lucky winner!! Giveaway Rules! +Our Giveaway will run May 23-27, 2011, with the winner being announced May 28, 2011! +The winner will be selected by Random.org +The package will be shipped to the winner by May 30, 2011. + To enter to win post a comment on this blog post! +Only one comment please per person. +This giveaway is open to everyone. +Leave your EMAIL ADDRESS, you can leave it as: leah(dot)sewspoiled(at)gamil(dot)com +This giveaway ends May 27, 2011 at 8PM Eastern Standard Time Thank you Ruth for sponsoring our May giveaway from Sew Love ...

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later....

Sew Spoiled May Giveaway for 2 Patchwork Pincushions!!!!

Patchwork Pincushions Originally uploaded by Sew Spoiled I am starting a new May Giveaway along with my friends at Sew Mama Sew for both of these beautiful patchwork pincushions!!! That is right two giveaways!!! All you have to do is post a comment on this post to enter to win! This giveaway will run through midnight on May 31, 2009 with the winners being announced on June 1, 2009. The two winners will be chosen using Random.org. I will send it priority mail by June 3, 2009! I will ship internationally, so all friends are welcome. Summer is almost here!! Good luck and Happy Sewing!!!