Monday, August 6, 2012

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials:
1/4 yard of Lycra or 
5T or larger old swimsuit
Thread
Stretch Needle (helps)
Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 1: Cutting Layout- Place the templates over the fabric and cut.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 2:  Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick. Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy. Set aside.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄

Bodice 

Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring 4.5” X1.5” or use template.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the 
short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam allowance.
✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
Step 3: Place the loop right side facing around your first two fingers. Hand stitch long gather stitches to gather the front of the bodice. Wrap thread ends around the gather, pull slightly and knot.

✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄
She can even swim in the pool or bath tub!
With only a few weeks left of summer, I hope you enjoy this fun in the sun sewing tutorial!

7 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Adorable, love that lycra fabric. I always see worn swimsuits at the thrift shop. Great way to use them.

Lynne Tilley said...

Ohhhhh, I wish I had this tutorial 25 years ago when my little girl was still young and at home. So cute! Her 4 yr old daughter isn't a Barbie kinda girl, but maybe her newborn daughter will be. I'm saving this tutorial !

LeighAnn said...

These are great! I made some like this once. http://jamesandleighann.blogspot.com/2011/08/doll-mermaid-tail-tutorial.html

Amanda said...

Omgoodness YES! THANK YOU! My daughter loves mermaid barbies but breaks the tails.... this just saved me! She loves her new soft mermaid babies and the tops too. No more naked barbies! Also. I didn't you lycra fabric, I just used stretch costume fabric (These babies dont go swimming) and anyone who makes it this way just remember that you want the stretch to go width wise not length wise, otherwise barbie wont fit. GREAT JOB!

Speattle said...

Thank you so much for this. I just made one up for my granddaughter's Barbie doll using matching fabric that I made my granddaughter a suit from.

I didn't make the bodice top, but just slid the tail portion up over the bust and it stays in place just fine.

So Cute!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What is the white lining you used for the tail?

Leah Williams said...

It is not lining, the wrong side of the fabric is white.